Belmont Vets origins began in Hereford in 1919 and the surgery was originally located at 1 St Peters Square in the centre of town. The register of Veterinary Surgeons first records Captain John Barker and John Proctor as vets at this address in 1921. However, the practice was purchased from an S.Beeson in 1919. Over the years, the practice grew so much that larger premises were required and in December 1987 the practice moved to 94 Belmont Road. The house was converted to provide operating theatre, radiography suite, laboratory and extensive inpatient care facilities. The surgery was again modernised and updated in 2001.
Belmont Vets in 2015
In April 2015 we took the exciting decision to split the practice into two separate businesses. Although for the last 12 years the vets had worked as two species-specific teams we still traded as Belmont Veterinary Centre from number 94, with the nurses and receptionists assisting both teams.
As the business and the team grew and changed it became apparent that a change in our operating systems was needed too. Ailsa stepped down as the Small Animal Clinical Director as of 31st December 2014 and Bill Main as Director of Belmont Veterinary Centre on the 7th April 2015. At this point, Belmont Veterinary Centre Ltd split off into Belmont Vets Ltd for your pets and Belmont Farm & Equine Ltd for livestock and horses. Matthew Pugh continued on as a director for both businesses with Georgia Millan becoming Director of Belmont Vets Ltd and Maria Mercer becoming Clinical Director. The Farm & Equine team moved out of number 94 into the house next door (92) and have their own dedicated phone number, email address and a website to follow.
As of November 2018 Georgia and Matthew are no longer the Directors of Belmont Vets Ltd but Maria Mercer continues as Clinical Director.